Uncle's Tom cabin

It's difficult to choose only one book like my favorite. I chose Uncle Tom's cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe because this was the first book that made me cry.

The book is an anti-slavery novel - wrote in 1852 - and helped to change the mind of the people about the slavery in U.S.A. It was written just before the Civil War in that country. Uncle Tom's cabin is about the story of uncle Tom, a kind slave who handed down for differents masters. All the books we can read about the evil and inmorality of slavery.

I read this book for the first time when I was 10 years old with my parents. We read one chapter every night. We cried together. The book showed me many things that I never imagined happen in history. 

I remember many parts of the story, but is not easy to find a particular quote. However, I think the book can resume in this quote: "Who can speak the blessedness of that first day of freedom? Is not the sense of liberty a higher and a finer one than any of the five? To move, speak and breathe,—go out and come in unwatched, and free from danger!"

Today, when I analyse this book I see a lot of things that I don't like. The book has many racist stereotypes about the "black" people. Also I think Tom is too much accommodated with his condition. Many black people today - in U.S.A. - think this book is an insult for these reasons and I understand that. The only one thing who all the people forget is the historical impact of the book, and his condition like anti-slavery tool.      

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

The fall of the house of Usher

Postgraduate studies

Darien